As a project manager, when a new server is required for an existing product there are alot of tasks and risks they have to be aware of.
Questions to resolve:
- Which environments are need e.g., Internal Test (SIT), External Test (UAT), Training, Production
- Is the SQL server needed to be updated
- Are devices need to be updated, can this be done in advance?
- Is there any Product upgrade scripting required?
- Is there any impact on existing reports?
- Will there be an impact on the clients Firewall setup?
- Are re-directions required from the existing location (if a move is required)?
- Is the data and product required to be moved?
- Is there enough memory present in the destination environment?
- Confirmation that all environments are accessible by the client
- When to have the dry run?
- Are data transfers in place, incremental data loads improve the cut over timeframe.
- Firewall not ready in time for the cut over
- UAT Environments not tested thoroughly (functionality and reports)
- The client can't access the environments
- Latency issues
- Key staff not available
A Production Request for Change is Required to formalise these risks and questions, and importantly assign tasks to individuals.
This document contains:
- Implications for not proceeding
- Pre-requisite actions
- Breakdown of cut over actions by time of the day (may need to list multiple timezones) and by whom.
- Criteria for backing out of the cut over
- Backout / restore plan and actions
- Communication method leading up to and during the cut over
- Existing issues impacting the project
- Sign off to confirm commitment